How to make hotplug work

Gavin Li gavinl at optech.ca
Tue Oct 4 16:38:32 UTC 2005

> Gavin,
>
> I think echo /sbin/udevsend > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug should be
> echo /sbin/hotplug > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug, if it is not already.  I,

I already tried both of them, it just doesn't log anything.

> also had to modprobe usbcore as part of system initialization.  I was

I use RHFC3 kernel binary. I checked rc.sysinit in RHFC3, it loads all the
modules, does it need to be done? I think the hotplug should do it when
neccessary. I found it by call "exit 0" before it prints "Init hardware" and
after it. The hotplug starts working after Init hardware ( which all the
modules have been loaded ), don't understand.
and Then I tried to modprobe usb-storage, and sd_mod module, and then try
hotplug, it doesn't work.

> working with a 2.4.x kernel.  There is a typo near the end of rcS the

I don't have problem with 2.4.x kernel

> moun should be mount.  Cut and paste problem?

I typed in, so it is a typo.

> Bob...
>
> This is the /sbin/hotplug that I came up with.  Rather "brute force",
> but it only needed to do one thing, mount a USB stick.

Gavin Li
Optech Incorporated
100 wildcat road
Toronto, ONT.