High availability mail server options

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Tue Oct 4 20:30:35 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 14:28 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 10:52, Craig White wrote:
>
> > 2. A Maildir setup would likely put each users folders in their home
> > directories making it extremely difficult to backup the mail itself
> > whereas something like cyrus-imapd has it's own mail store which can be
> > put onto it's own partition and could simply be dumped.
>
> If you are going to the trouble of providing redundancy, I'd think
> you'd want to back up all of the user's data, not just email, so
> having it all in the same place becomes an advantage for maildirs.
> Also, the cyrus database format may have some internal dependencies
> that will break if you copy it without shutting down.  The maildir
> format was designed so the messages were self-contained and do
> not need multiple operations to be atomic.  Dovecot tries to keep
> an index which will most likely be wrong if copied when the user
> is active, but it will rebuild it if it becomes inconsistent.

Yeah, the dovecot index stuff I'm hoping really isn't an issue.
Hopefully it picks up that things it's out-of-whack and updates itself.
As for user data, there isn't any on this system, it's just mail so I
only need to replicate the mail partition contents and the LDAP
directory part.  LDAP will use OpenLDAPs replication of course so that
part isn't an issue.

--
David Hollis <dhollis at davehollis.com>