Editable PDF files

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Wed Oct 5 19:56:24 UTC 2005

>Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 14:00:49 -0500
>From: Fritz Whittington <f.whittington at att.net>
>
>Ian Pilcher grabbed a trusty #2 pencil and scribbled:

>>>Update your copy of Acrobat Reader (now Adobe Reader).
>>>

>Update it to what?  The version 7.0.3 which I have installed seems to be
>the latest, and it WILL NOT let you save the data you have filled in to
>a form (unless you count printing it as a form of "saving").

I was just noodling with that same thing recently (specificially I was
making PDF Froms with OO.o ... nice feature BTW) and wondering how one
would save the info ... because you can't by default. The only way that
I currently know is by using the "print to PDF" functionality to create
a read-only PDF with your filled in info from your PDF viewer. I am not
sure if this suits your purposes. I think you can natively print to PDF
with FC4 and there is something called PDFCreator in Windows to do the
same thing.
As far as saving the data automagically with the PDF, it might be
possible with some javascript magic in the original source PDF but I
haven't gotten that far in my noodling to see if that is possible. If
anyone can point me to some good resources for writing dynamic PDF
forms, I would apreciate it.

/Mike