stability help needed

Cecil Thornhill cthornhill at juggernit.com
Wed Oct 5 21:26:31 UTC 2005

It may be that the hardware I have access to for testing is just going to be a problem, but I suspect there are some configuration changes I need that I have not been able to find. I am trying to get familiar with the latest features of FC4 using the default security mode (my RH4 WS config was created with SE off as I was duplicating an older RH system). I wanted to do this before revising my other systems to use the SE features.

I did a Fedora Core 4 install on an Asus A7V600, 512MB RAM, AMD Athlon based MB I had access to with an ATI Radeon 9200SE display and an SATA 80GB drive. The box was a stable (well as much as MS can be) system under XP Pro, so I did not think twice about using it.

My results under RH WS and FC4 have been similar - the system installs with no issue and does run with no issues I can see related to SE. My trouble is that any time I go to update the system in an X terminal window or via a GUI it has a seg fault. I finaly decided (after testing several installs) to try a default FC4 install then go into the emergency term to use YUM and do the post install update. That worked fine - so I now suspect the issue is related to X or some interaction with X and the built in ethernet on the system. My guess is it is a driver issue, but confirming this appears tricky.

I am trying to get comfortble with a new default desktop config I can use and recomend for people moving from MS. I want to use Fedora since it is available and has more drivers and packages than BSD systems I have used for other servers, but my confidence is a bit shaken by this install.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. If it just boils down to a bad hardware set I would like to know that too. At this point I want to get it to work if I can, or to know what MB's I should suggest. I was surprised to find this sort of thing still happening after so much work on desktop Linux. Ah well...

Thanks for any help rendered.

Cecil Thornhill