Wire tripped

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Oct 5 23:27:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 17:35, Bill Perkins wrote:
> After downloading and installing gnome-pkgview and gnome-common (which
> pkgview needed) tripwire started complaining about a whole bunch of
> files that had suddenly changed checksums, and in many cases, the sizes
> of the files as well, including tripwire itself. Did I just get zapped
> by something nasty, or does tripwire sometimes get a little confused?

Where the files all part of gnome-common?  Did you update tripwire after
you upgraded gnome-common? When did tripwire report a violation?

Three possibilities.  One, tripwire ran at it's usual time and reported
the changed files which you upgraded.

Two, if you updated tripwire after doing the upgraded prelink probably
ran later than night and modified the updated files you installed via
gnome-common.  Tripwire then reported the differences.

Third, if neither one or two are possibilities then you need to look at
the particular files being reported.  You might have been hacked.