Defrag.

Andy Pieters mailings at vlaamse-kern.com
Thu Oct 6 09:49:06 UTC 2005

Hi

Fedora uses standard the ext3 filesystem.  Ext3 is higly optimised and not to
be compared to the miscreations of microsoft (fat,vfat, ntfs (made by IBM
IIRC)).  And as such it is not required to defrag.

A defrag utility exists but it requires you to unmount the partition first and
it takes quite a long time.  The benefits are ignorable.

Welcome to Linux.  You will find that a lot of the anoyances you where used to
with Windows do not exist here.  For instance Linux is virusfree and the only
need to run a virusscanner is when you have a webserver or email server and
want to detect viruses in uploaded files to prevent that you acidentaly
transmit them to others.

The ext3 filesystem keeps a log when it is about to change something and if
failure ocurrs it is generally able to restore most of the data although you
might want to research on RAID if you have critical data.

Open a console, and give the command df (stands for DiskFree) see if there are
partitions that are nearing 100% which could explain heavy disk activity
(ignore the /dv:shm because that is a ramdisk)

HTH

Andy

--
Registered Linux User Number 379093
Now listening to [silence]

   amaroK::the Coolest Media Player in the known Universe!

   Cockroaches and socialites are the only things that can
   stay up all night and eat anything.
					    Herb Caen
--
--
Check out these few php utilities that I released

 http://www.vlaamse-kern.com/sas/