LVM problem <SOLVED>

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Thu Oct 6 17:54:51 UTC 2005

Andrew B. Young wrote:
> Can anybody point me to a white paper or something that discusses the advantages of using LVM, especially on a single disk PC?  I have not seen the reason to use it on my home (single drive) PC.
> Six years ago, using HP-UX, LVM was a nice fit to merge multiple 4GB and 9GB SCSI disks together to from single LVs for chip designers who saved lots of data.  But now, with cheap 200GB IDE drives, that problem went away.
> tx,andyy

200Gb just isn't enough.  I just put in 300 gb and going to add teh
old 100G to the LVG to allow for videos and music and data files to be
stored.

I was unsure about LVG as I could just mount drives in subdirectories.
  It was the fact that LVG would allow this to be done transparently
is the selling point to me.

I have calculated that I would need about 1TB to do what I want.  I am
looking at RAID arrays.

--
Robin Laing
Instrumentation Technologist   Voice: 1.403.544.4762