Exploring unknown HID devices

Steffen Kluge kluge at fujitsu.com.au
Fri Oct 7 02:01:55 UTC 2005

Hi all,
I could use some pointers on figuring out a particular device on my
laptop.

The laptop came with an IR remote control. I'd like to use it to control
multimedia apps like mplayer and xmms, or simply map keystrokes or GNOME
functions to buttons. The IR receiver is recognised by Linux as USB HID
device (see attached). Hence I reckon lirc is the wrong way to go.

Out of all the buttons on the remote, only one triggers an action: the
volume-up button. Curiously, it seems to do the same as the volume-down
key on the laptop. For all other buttons xev remains silent.

I was wondering how to go about detecting the rest of the button
presses. Obviously, something is working/going on there, or the
volume-up button would do anything either.

I suspect the answer might also help in getting the multimedia keys on
the laptop to work. With the exception of volume up/down they don't
register in xev either. I tried xxd'ing /dev/input/event* to no avail.
The buttons/keys that work show up on event0, the others on none of the
devices.

Cheers
Steffen.