External USB DVD recorder

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Oct 7 02:25:22 UTC 2005

Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to use my LG DVDRAM GSA-5163D (USB, external) in FC4. The
>drive is automatically detected as a SCSI device. a
>"cat /proc/scsi/scsi" shows:
>
>Host: scsi4 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>  Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVDRAM GSA-5163D Rev: A104
>  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
>I can read CD-ROM disks without any problem. However, when I try to read
>a DVD disk, I can see the directory tree and the files within the
>directories, but can't ready any file.
>K3B detects it as a burning device, but can't record DVDs (it stops
>responding). Didn't try to burn a CD yet, gotta buy a disk to test.
>
>Any clues?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Marcelo

I had a problem that was soon fixed where the permissions of the
dvdrecorder were not set right. I had to chown the device to jim:disk
for it to work for burning.
I am running rawhide, so the fix might only be included in the
development tree.

What is the output of ls -la for /dev/sdx which your USB DVD player is
mounted as?

chown user:disk /dev/sdx should change the device to the console owner.

Jim

--
QOTD:
	If it's too loud, you're too old.