system-config-users 1.2.39 broken?

valentin antonescu valduboisvert at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 7 16:36:49 UTC 2005

wrote:

>>>I respond that with tab completion, navagating
trees or anything is
>>>still allot easier than any GUI I have tried.  Tab
completion can
>even
>>>help when I get confused as it will give me a list
of possible names.

>> Using both methods, a lot, I find keyboarding
around a significant
>pain.
>> Type a few letters, hit tab, type a few more, hit
tab, type a few
>more,
>> hit tab, trying to get the right one out of various
files or
>directories
>> that start with similar characters.  It does you no
good in a folder
>> with a few hundred images all named something
hideous like
>> photo_012335234.jpeg.
>>

>>>If I am doing various things from the CLI, I can
use the arrow keys
>>>and get back to previous command via history.
>>

>> Again, up, up, up, up, up, edit, is more work than
selecting any
>bunch
>> of displayed files, then dragging them to the next
window, or hitting
>> some function button.  Even more so when you keep
repeating the task.
>> And, no, I'm yet to find any situation where you
could script that,
>> because you've got a lot of changing variables each
time you do it
>> (different sources, different destinations, simply
a copy, a move, a
>> rename as well...).
>>

>>>I have tried many different file managers and I
still end up moving
>>>back to the CLI for what I do.
>>

>> I've tried quite a few, and I nearly always end up
using the CLI on
>> Linux *because* the GUIs on it just plain suck.
Prime example,
>> Nautilus.  They all look like a young software
writer has had a go at
>> making a file *browser*, not manager, added a few
bells and whistles,
>> then gave up.
>>

>>>And Opus looks like Nautilus.
>>

>> It's nothing like it.  Nautilus is just plain crap,
almost as bad as
>> Explorer.  Slow, and with very limited features.
It's nothing more
>than
>> a file browser, really.
>>>
>>> For those not familiar with DOpus, a slightly
closer equivalent might
>>>be
>>> Midnight Commander.  But even Midnight Commander
is poorly featured,
>>in
>>> comparison, and the TUI version is a hideous
DOS-like throwback.

>>> I'm only picking on DOpus, by the way of example.
It's a GUI tool
>>that
>>> does all the bells and whistles that any die hard
CLI fan will do
>>when
>>> managing files, it's configurable up to the hilt,
but still simple to
>>> use.  I only wish there was a Linux version of it,
but the author's
>>not
>>> about to spend time on that as there's no money in
it.

>>>The last graphical file manager that I liked was
Windows 3.11 file
>>manager.
>>
>>I have not run into the problems that you have.  I
guess I have used
>>term for so many years to manage servers that I
don't think about
>>typing.  I find that the time to type a few letters
is less than
>>scrolling down a few pages of icons of graphics to
find that list of
>>files I am looking for.  The last time I tried to
use any file
>manager, midnight commander included, I was
frustrated by the time it
>took to complete my tasks.
>
>Don't get me wrong, there are times I like a GUI
tools but I guess I
>just haven't found one that is fast enough for the
work that I do.  I
>also am pretty good at touch typing as I learned this
in school in the
>days before electric typewriters :)
>
>Allot of tools I use, I don't know of any GUI for
them.  Of course I
>have not looked for any as they may only be plugins
for some GUI file
>manager.  Things like rar and unrar.
>
>As I said, some like the GUI, others don't but to
each their own.
>Some like Windows and others don't.
>--
>Robin Laing

=I apologize to jump like this in the middle of this
discussion. Personally I find CLI extremly usefull and
I cannot imagine this world without it :). On the
other hand I have to agree I felt the need of better
GUIs under linux. I saw recently a windows software
with a nice GUI made only for renaming files. I found
this hilarious cause under linux CLI I can do that
with no problems and I can do it in more than one
single way.

Anyway, like I said before, I do feel the need of a
good GUI under linux sometimes. I have used midnight
commander and I found it useful. Under X I'm using
FileRunner
(http://www.cd.chalmers.se/~hch/filerunner.html).

Any other suggestions for nice GUIs under linux?

 Valentin