Uninstalling and Reinstalling the OS

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 7 18:36:23 UTC 2005

Debra Montague wrote:
> I am totally new to Linux/Unix.  I need to practice uninstalling a Linux OS and reinstalling.  I have the 4 Fedora Core CD's.  Where Do I Start.  Thanks,

Try hitting return a little more often.

There is really no such concept as "deinstallation" of an
OS. It's not like an app, which sits on top of another
structure which remains if it is removed. It *is* the
infrastructure.

However, in order to "wipe it out", so to speak, you can do this:
(as root)

# dd -if=/dev/zero -of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

This will completely wipe your Master Boot Record (MBR) including
the Partition Table (PT), and "effectively deinstall".

Make *SURE* you have saved any information you need before doing
that command!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.