TO - etymology - was Re: Multi-session CDROM access... How?

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Oct 7 18:38:59 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 13:12 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> Robin Laing wrote:
>
> Thanks for the kind reply. This is good info
>

> > I understand the problem and this is an area that takes some learning.
> >  I actually made a mistake in one of my posts about fixation.  I had it
> > confused with finalization.  If a disk is finalized, it cannot be used
> > as a multisession.  Fixation is what writes the TOC.
>
> Well, *that* at least makes sense. But I dunno why the name "fixation"
> would be chosen. It's confusing to have "fixation" and "finalization".
> Too close in meaning and in sound.
>
> [RANT MODE ON]
>
> BTW, why do we have all these "verb turned into
> adjective turned into noun" words these days, when there is already
> a noun associated with the verb? For example, we have the verb
> "to finish". Why not just "finish" the disc? Why verb "to finish" to
> adjective "final" turned back into verb "finalize" then to noun
> "finalization" rather than just use the associated verbal noun "to
> finish" or "finishing"? This is showing up everywhere. It looks like
> "administrator speak" to me.
>
> We no longer complete plans, nor do we finish plans, we finalize them.
> We no longer use "completion", we use "finalization". We don't talk
> about a project being finished or coming to completion, we talk about
> "finalizing" it.
>
> Reminds me of Scott Adams and Dilbert!
----
etymology is the science of language and clearly off topic here but a
significant portion of the new entries committed to the English language
are driven by technology. We all know that the English language is
replete with oddities and peculiarities.

If it helps to give precision to the language, then it's definitely
worthwhile. I have fixated on your above comments and knowing this list
(and you), am certain that it hasn't been finalized.

;-)

Craig

believed to be clean.