Running FC4 w/ SMP kernel on Compaq DL360 / G1

Bruce McPeek brucem at vidiator.com
Fri Oct 7 23:52:18 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have an older Compaq DL360 / G1 w/ dual procs running 1266 MHz and a
gig of RAM.

When I installed the OS, the system was recognized as dual proc and an
SMP kernel was set to boot by default. Unfortunately the boot will hang
with the last message showing something like "Unpacking system image".
This is as far as I can go.

I can boot from a single proc kernel, although I do get a few messages
about being unable to determine the AGP aperture. /var/log/messages has
this text
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.101 (c) Dave
Jones
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart: unable to determine aperture
size.
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart: agp_backend_initialize() failed.
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart-serverworks: probe of
0000:00:00.0 failed with error -22
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart: unable to determine aperture
size.
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart: agp_backend_initialize() failed.
Oct  7 15:24:43 p4test kernel: agpgart-serverworks: probe of
0000:00:00.1 failed with error -22

FC4 originally installed with the kernel version reporting to be "Linux
version 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4". I ran up2date and brought everything current
including the kernel. I am now booting with the kernel version at
"2.6.13-1.1526_FC4".

The single processor the kernel is reporting is "Intel(R) Pentium(R) III
CPU - S         1266MHz stepping 04".

Does anyone know how to boot this system with an SMP kernel? Barring
that, does anyone have ideas I may be able to try?

Best regards,

Bruce McPeek