Volume of the sound too low [similar prob]

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Sat Oct 8 00:38:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 17:44 -0600, Gezim Hoxha wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-07 at 18:44 +0800, Claus Reheis wrote:
> > I use Gnome
>
> I'm glad because I've got a problem too and I also use gnome.
> Here is the thing, I open "Volume Control" (by right clicking on the
> speaker at the top right part of the desktop) and the only two sliders
> in Volume Control that actually change the volume are "PCM" (this
> affects the subwoofer in my machine which is a laptop) and
> "Headphone" (this affects my speaker volume on my laptop). However, by
> clicking on the speaker (top right of desktop) and dragging the single
> slider that appears, only the "Master" slider changes in Volume Control,
> thus not affecting my sound volume at all. My question: how do I "link"
> the speaker located in top right of desktop (in the panel) so when I
> change the volume using the single slider (this comes up by clicking on
> the speaker) the "headphone" and "PCM" sliders change?

Right-click on the speaker icon and choose "Preferences".  That's where
you select which sliders the icon affects.  You may want to leave it on
"master", in which case you want to right-click on it again and "Open
Volume Control".  Play with the sliders there to get the right "mix",
then the main control should affect everything, but at the same relative
levels.

-        "More hay, Trigger?" "No thanks, Roy, I'm stuffed!"         -