Freemind

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sat Oct 8 20:12:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 14:27 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-10-08 at 11:56 -0500, Steven Stern wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone have a source for an RPM that will install javahelp2 on FC4?
> >>  I found one rpm and it *seems* to install, but rpm -qa doesn't find it
> >>afterwards and the freemind install fails on the dependency.
> >

> > I have a feeling you are either installing a src.rpm ot a nosrc.rpm (my
> > guess is the latter) - and what you need is a binary rpm.
> >
> > I don't know though.
> >
> > What is the name of the rpm file?
> >

> It's a nosrc rpm.  Thanks. I'll look for something binary.

What you will need to do is the following:

1) create an rpm directory structure:

cd ~
mkdir -p rpm/{SPECS,BUILD,RPMS,SRPMS,tmp}
mkdir -p rpm/RPMS/{i386,i486,i586,i686,athlon,noarch}
cat <<EOF > ~/.rpmmacros
# default .rpmmacros file for user accounts
%_topdir        %(/bin/echo $HOME)/rpm
%_tmppath       %_topdir/tmp
EOF

install the nosrc.rpm as your regular user - it will put the spec file
in the recently created ~/rpm/SPECS directory

In that file, there is a line that says

Go to that website, and download the package - put it in ~/rpm/SOURCES

now -

cd ~/rpm/SPECS
rpmbuild -bb freemind.spec

That should create the binary rpm for you.

-=-
It's distributed as a nosrc.rpm most likely because license forbids
anyone from distributing it except for the url listed in the URL field.

Several java related packages are like that unfortunately.