Help installing Fedora

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Oct 9 13:24:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 01:44:54AM -0400, jludwig wrote:
> On Thursday 06 October 2005 23:33, James Van Dooren wrote:
> > I have an IBM laptop that is running win2000. I have a 30gig harddrive
> > loaded with Dynamic Disk Overlay to correct the problem of the large disk
> > size with the older laptop. I want to install fedora or some other linux
> > flavor on laptop but am having problem with MBR. Can anyone suggest a
> > workaround. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> As far as the hard drive size, Linux does not care about the whole hard drive
> not being seen by the bios, as long as the kernel 'et al' is in the lower
> 1024 cylinders.
>
> After getting past the select keyboard and mouse, booting installation disk
> cdrom, cntl-alt-f2 will 	give you a command prompt.
>
> Do the following;
>
> dd if=/dev/	hda of=bootsect bs=512 count=1
>
> This should clear the drive of all remnants of the MBR.

If you want to clear the MBR and not the partition table then:
bs=446
should be used.

Fortune's nomination for All-Time Champion and Protector of Youthful
Morals goes to Representative Clare E. Hoffman of Michigan.  During an
impassioned House debate over a proposed bill to "expand oyster and
clam research," a sharp-eared informant transcribed the following
exchange between our hero and Rep. John D. Dingell, also of Michigan.

DINGELL: There are places in the world at the present time where we are
	 having to artificially propagate oysters and clams.
HOFFMAN: You mean the oysters I buy are not nature's oysters?
DINGELL: They may or may not be natural.  The simple fact of the matter
	 is that female oysters through their living habits cast out
	 large amounts of seed and the male oysters cast out large
	 amounts of fertilization ...
HOFFMAN: Wait a minute!  I do not want to go into that.  There are many
	 teenagers who read The Congressional Record.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484