iso image file of a CD in linux

David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) dave at davenjudy.org
Sun Oct 9 15:18:39 UTC 2005

roland.knoepfli at gmx.ch wrote:

> run the following command:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/home/yourusername/imagefile.iso
>
> replace /dev/cdrom with the path to your cd-rom device if it doesn't
> work. (i use /dev/hdc)
>
> Roland
>
> arora.himanshu at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>        I wanted to get the iso image file of a CD in linux. How
>> should I do this ? Please suggest any rpm if required.
>>
>> Himanshu Arora

Especially for copying ISO images, add "bs=10240" to the other dd
parameters.  I think dd goes sector by sector (bs=512) otherwise.  You
can try different values to see if there is any appreciable difference
on your system.  The bs parameter allows standard size abbreviations so
the above could have been written bs=10K.

Dave