Macintosh Linux?

Issac Newton mr_issac_newton at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 9 23:37:18 UTC 2005

Steven Pasternak <stevenp500 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 14:23 -0700, Issac Newton wrote:
>

>>Is there a linux operating system, or will Fedora work on a Macintosh
>>IIci without any modifications?
>>

>You might be able to run an older m68k distribution on it.
>I ran Debian Slinky on an SE/30 back in the days - with just 20MB of ram
>and I believe a 100 MB hard disk.
>
>I'm not sure if the IIci has a math coprocessor or not.
>I actually have one, haven't booted it in years (and never for Linux)
>

>> I have a Mac OS on the harddrive, but I don't know what version, and
>>I can not start the Mac OS on boot.
>>

>That will be a problem - you have to boot those macs into a boot manager
>in order to start the Linux boot process. You use to be able to get
>Apple SSW 6.0.8 on floppies from Apple's web site, not sure if you still
>can. You would need a mac capable of writing Apple style floppies of
>course to make them.

Can anyone get me a link to the floppy download? And can a Mac Emulation running on windows be able to create the floppy format needed?

>> I also do not have the Disk Tools floppy needed to fix the operating
>>system. If anyone can provide information pertaining to this little
>>predicament, please email me at ddproxy at gmail.com ... I would enjoy to
>>have a copy of the Disk Tools that I can put on a floppy from a
>>Windows XP computer, or anything that could allow me to fix the
>>original Mac OS already on the hard drive using only a Windows XP
>>computer. Thank you for your valuable time, Ice D Pox.
>>

>There may be a way to make a floppy from a Windows box - but I don't
>know it.
>
>In all honesty - Linux will completely such on a IIci.
>Don't even think about trying to get X running on it - I'm sure you
>could, well - maybe (I never bothered on my SE30).
>
>There use to a mac list called "classic macs" or something - they'll
>have information on how to get a boot floppy so you can fix the OS that
>is already on it.

Any ideas on how to get into the list, or find this list for that matter.

Hi! I did a lookup on wikipedia.org, and it said that the IIci was
released with OS version 6.0.4.
Hope this helps!
-Steven

Thankyah Steven, and Michael. I will continue looking, and still waiting for further help that can take me closer to fixing this Mac. -Ice D Pox