2 LogWatch questions

Corey Head coreyhead at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 10 04:00:04 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces at redhat.com]
On Behalf Of Craig Thomas
Sent: Sunday, October 09, 2005 9:51 AM
To: For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: 2 LogWatch questions

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 09:24 -0700, Corey Head wrote:
> I have recently switched my sendmail over to sending
> on both port 25 and
> 587.  Since doing so, my sendmail stuff in the daily
> logwatch has been gone.
> How do I get it back?

I can't help you with the above, but:

> Also, I'm receiving this under httpd on almost a
daily
> basis:
>
> Requests with error response codes
> 404 Not Found
> /robots.txt: 12 Time(s)
> Is this something I should be worried about?  Robots
> sound like 'worms' to
> me.

robots.txt is a file telling the 'robots' sent out by
search engines how
to behave on your site.  You can exclude directories
and files from
their indexing and that type of thing.  Google's
indexing  'robot' is
called googlebot.  Inktomi is, I think, slurp. You may
have a refernence
in httpd log files to these as well. Anyway, not much
to worry about,
especially as you give 404 response when it is
requested.

--
Craig

--
Cool!  Thanks Craig and Shockwave! I feel better about
the robot thing now.

What about getting my sendmail stuff back into the
LogWatch?  Any ideas on
that?  I'm not sure why it all went away unless
everyone in creation that
had been trying to spam me and use my server as a
relay suddenly stopped.
(Wouldn't that be nice?)

Thanks!
Corey