Upnp

Eric Tanguy eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr
Mon Oct 10 20:33:31 UTC 2005

Le mardi 11 octobre 2005 à 01:39 +0930, Tim a écrit :
> On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 11:10 +0200, Eric Tanguy wrote:
> > How Upnp is or will be included in fc4? I mean how is it possible to
> > discover automatically?? upnp netwoek devices ?
>
> In some ways I hope it doesn't happen.  It's a stupid solution to a
> stupid problem:  Various things not working behind NAT, or other
> networking techniques.  So rather than design them better, we insert
> some other gizmo to try and manage connections through it for us.  Its
> really big problem is that you have to let just about everything through
> the firewall for it to work, as it uses random ports all over the place.
> That's a very stupid way to stuff up your security.

It's not the good point of view : upnp can be used such a way with nat
but you can use also upnp to discover automatically network services
such as media center. And it's usefull to access this kind of network
media without any configuration. For example i use nero MediaHome on
winxp to share media and use geexbox (www.geexbox.org) as standalone
linux based mediaplayer and in the last devel version upnp is
implemented so geexbox discovered automatically nero mediahome and the
shares. So upnp is not only for gateway ...

--
Eric Tanguy | Nantes, France
<eric.tanguy at univ-nantes.fr>