PostgreSQL

Kevin Waterson kevin at oceania.net
Tue Oct 11 12:36:37 UTC 2005

This one time, at band camp, Gordon Messmer <yinyang at eburg.com> wrote:

> Robert L Cochran wrote:
> > I work with multimedia a lot and like MySQL and SQLite because they have
> > BLOB datatypes. PosgreSQL does some things a lot better tha MySQL does,
> > so its a shame it doesn't have these datatypes.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.2/interactive/datatype-binary.html

This is a ghetto attempt at a LOB. PostgreSQL has  does not make any distinction
between character or binary large objects. The implementation breaks large objects
into "chunks" and stores the chunks in tuples in the database. A B-tree index
guarantees fast searches for the correct chunk number when doing random access
reads and writes. This is the basis for horror stories of storing binary data
in databases. My own benchmarks show MySQL and SQLite handle binary data much
more effectively.

Kind regards
Kevin