resize /boot partition

Marcin Struzak marcin-list at struzak.com
Wed Oct 12 02:38:25 UTC 2005

> At 12:03 PM -0700 10/10/05, Marcin Struzak wrote:
> >I am using Fedora Core 3 and Grub, and need to resize my /boot partition.
> >
> >1) Can it be done "on-the-fly", i.e., without destroying the fs?  What
tool
> >can be used for that (parted complains about incompatible feature
enabled)?

> I would boot from something else (rescue CD, installer CD; others will say
> Knoppix) and do the work there.  I have enough free space on my /
partition
> to copy all of /boot's 100 MB onto it and copy it back.  I have never done
> this.

Resizing on the fly will (presumably) leave the bootstrap intact; if I copy
everything out, blow away the partition, and recreate it to my liking, just
copying the files back into it would not make the new partition bootable.
In LILO days you would just rerun lilo.  Anyone knows what needs to be done
if using Grub?

Thanks!

--Marcin