Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 05:44:53 UTC 2005

Kenneth Porter wrote:

Thanks for your kind reply.

> --On Tuesday, October 11, 2005 11:27 PM -0500 Mike McCarty
> <mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I guess I didn't make myself quite clear on this point. I want ONE (1)
>> ONE partition on the new disc. I don't want an explicit limit on either
>> /home or /tmp. I want them to share the disc. So a major part of my
>> question really revolves around whether I can make /tmp be a
>> soft link to /home/tmp when /home is a mount point for another
>> fs.
>

> Not a soft link but a loopback mount point. In /etc/fstab the entry
> would look like this:
>
> /home/tmp /tmp none bind 0 0
>
> (This presumes that /home has already been mounted earlier in the file.)

(Yes, that clearly would be necessary.)

I'm afraid that, while I've used *NIX like systems for, well,
since at least 1984, I'm new to administration. I installed
FC2 back late last October, and just now learned enough about
the conventions about where things are stored to do my first
backup (using a script I developed) which I have some confidence
that I could recover a working system from, should the need
arise.

So, though I'm familiar with the *term* "loopback", and I've mounted
ISO images using "the loopback device", I really am pretty much
clueless about what the term "loopback" refers to. I'm familiar with
both hard and soft links, however.

Would you mind specifying what the distinction between
using a soft link and using a loopback mount would be?
And why one would prefer the latter to the former?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.