sha1sum?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 12 18:54:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 04:20 -0700, Ciccio Pasticcio wrote:

> just downloaded the fc4 i386 on dvd.
> cheked the sha1sum and the risult is differente from
> the one pubished on fedora  site.
> i mounted the iso and everything went fine, no
> currupted files. burned on a dvd ad it works.
>
> downloaded the same file from a different location and
> did the same as above. everything fine but another
> sha1sum, different from the one published by fedora
> and from the first iso i downloaded.
> so what's wrong? since the 2 isos seem to be all
> right?
> should i trust these files?

I wouldn't "trust" them, though whether that's because there's an error,
or if it might be due to deliberately sabotage, we can't tell.  And
that's why you don't trust things that fail such tests.

The fact that all *appears* well doesn't mean that it actually is.  You
could be compromised without knowing it.  But it's probably more likely
that some RPM that you haven't installed was ruined, so you didn't see
any errors while installing.

I read messages from the public lists.