Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 20:52:20 UTC 2005

Peter Gordon wrote:
> Mike McCarty said:
>
>>I don't want two, three, five, you count'em partitions
>>on the disc, because then I'd have to know in advance how
>>much to allocate to each, and each would always be larger
>>than it would have to be. I'd rather have one partition,
>>and let the various pieces dynamically get resized as
>>needed.
>

> Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but isn't this the main purpose
> of LVM and similar technologies?

I KNEW IT!

Someone was bound to pull LVM out of the hat! Even after
I specifically stated that LVM was not something I would
consider.

Whatever LVM is intended to accomplish, it is not something
I will willingly install on my machine at present. I already
have one machine I have to struggle with LVM on FC4, and that is
more than enough. I don't want to try to back-port it to my
FC2 machine.

Thanks for the kind message, though!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.