resize /boot partition

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 04:10:51 UTC 2005

> FC3/grub: What is the proper procedure to resize (shrink) the /boot
> partition? parted does not like the partition ("Error: Filesystem has
> incompatible feature enabled").

If it was me, I'd just reinstall if it is a desktop. A server role on the
otherhand is more interesting.

I am assuming:

> 1) boot using the distribution DVD in rescue mode
> 2) back up /boot
> 3) I am assuming I will get a Fedora-specifc parted equivalent, that will
> let me
> a) unmount /boot
> b) resize on the fly, or blow it away and create another one in its
> place
> c) remount /boot
> 4) run (what?) to reinstall grub in this partition; is it grub-install?
> with what options? my current grub.conf has

Yes, grub-install will fix that up.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this
> file
> # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
> # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> # root (hd0,0)
> # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> # initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/sda
> default=0
> timeout=5
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title Fedora Core (2.6.9-1.667)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
> quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
>
> 5) reboot and cross the fingers...

Looks to me like you are still running the stock kernel on FC3? Any chance a
reinstall is out of the question?

A fast way to clear the drive and let Fedora pick the partitions is to zero
out the first few hundred meg of the drive. I do that to prevent it from
labelling some partitions /1 and /boot1 if it sees partitions on there
already.
Boot off the FC cd or dvd in rescue mode.
Don't bother to start network interfaces.
Don't bother to mount existing partitions (skip)
at the command prompt

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M count=200

You're done. hit reset and reboot and let it install and pick the partitions
this time.
Substitute sda for hda is you have an IDE drive.

I reload my system at least once a month or every 6 weeks. I'm always
tinkering around on it, and I usually run the new tests that get released. I
have rsync scripts to back up my data to my server so I don't miss anything
important when I reload.

--
-=/>Thom