Why wont this script run??

Søren Neigaard s.neigaard at mobilethink.dk
Thu Oct 13 13:20:14 UTC 2005

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, Søren Neigaard wrote:
>
>> Benjamin Franz wrote:

>>> Look at your error log: /var/log/httpd/error_log (unless you have
>>> changed it to somewhere else).
>>>
>>> It will very likely have an error message specifying the problem.
>>

>> It says nothing in that logfile, i think that the script runs some
>> check on my httpd.conf file before it even attempts to start httpd,
>> and this check fails, even though httpd likes my httpd.conf
>>
>> Any ideas?
>

> You have a configuration error that is not a syntax error. Typically
> I've found 'silent deaths' tend to be things like log files being placed
> in directories that don't exist or permissions errors. Check that every
> file/directory explicitly referenced in your configuration file actually
> exists and has appropriate permissions. Don't just visually scan the
> httpd.conf - actually 'cut and paste' the names in the file to something
> like a 'ls' command to verify you haven't typoed a file/directory name.

Everything looks ok with ls, and permissions seems ok also. Also the
difference between the "working" httpd.conf and the "not working"
httpd.conf is only VirtualHosts...??

> Also, check /var/log/messages to find out if SELinux doesn't like
> something you are doing.

Nothing here... :(

How can it be that httpd runs fine with my httpd.conf if i start it
manually, and all VirtualHosts works perfectly, but the script refuses
to start httpd?? Man im puzzled here.

/Søren