Strategy for /tmp and /home Partitioning

Mike McCarty mike.mccarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 13 14:25:58 UTC 2005

Ben Stringer wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 22:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>>Well, you have a passion for partitions that I do not have.
>>Partitions have existence due to two things
>>(1) limited addressing ability in the BIOS
>>(2) desire to run multiple OS on the same disc
>

> I'd add to that list:

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I meant the historical
reasons they came into existence, not what uses were later
found for them.

> - ease of data backups

I don't follow this. How does splitting my data up into chunks
make it easier to use or backup?

> - ease of operating system upgrades

My reason (2) above is a superset of this.

> - containment of runaway process consuming filesystem resources

IMO, this is better served by having a separate disc.
But, a partition is cheaper in hardware.
Anyway, my rather fuzzy goal is to let all the non-system
stuff which dynamically changes size share a separate disc.

> - granularity of filesystem integrity checks

I don't follow this. Are you trying to protect against
a disc corruption damaging or losing large amounts of
data? That is better handled by backup IMO. If you are
trying to protect against disc failure, then all the
partitions in the world won't mitigate the damage.

> - granularity of different raid choices

Ordinary users don't need RAID, IMO. Also, IMO, this
is better done on a disc basis, not a partition basis.
Ordinary strategies are not appropriate for those with
special needs, anyway.

> I still find that creating many partitions (I use 8 plus swap) makes for
> easier administration, as long as you plan the partition sizes
> carefully.

And the last part of your sentence gives it all away, for me.
Planning for future growth is reading crystal balls, sticking
one's finger in the air, taking a WAG, and then later being
wrong after all, and having to repartition. I prefer to have
the computer manage the resources.

But everyone has his own preferences.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.