FC4 screen resolution problem

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Thu Oct 13 20:35:11 UTC 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 08:42:28 +0200
Jean François Ortolo <ortolojf at free.fr> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 14:17 -0700, Richard E Miles wrote:
> >
> > I have been following the discussions on the subject. I do know that
> > nvidia recommends commenting out dri in the modules section ie:
> >
> > Section "Module"
> >         Load  "dbe"
> >         Load  "extmod"
> >         Load  "fbdevhw"
> >         Load  "glx"
> >         Load  "record"
> >         Load  "freetype"
> >         Load  "type1"
> > #       Load  "dri"
> > EndSection
> >
> > You might want to try that to see if the nvidia driver works.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Miles
> > Federal Way WA. USA
> > registered linux user 46097
> >

> Hi Sir
>
>   Actually, I have only the vesa driver installed, not the nvidia
> driver.
>
>   I uninstalled the nvidia driver by running 'nvidia-installer
> -uninstall' before readding Load "dri" in the Module Section.
>
>   I don't remember if the glx line has to be removed, if that is the
> case, please say me.
>
>   Thank you very much for your help.
>
>   Best regards.
>
>   Jean Francois Ortolo

No you don't remove the glx line. Just comment out the dri line. On a different
subject, you mentioned you were having trouble with the screen being too small
when you used the virtual setting. I too use the virtual setting as 1600x1280
where my setting for the video card is 1280x1024. I had trouble with the screen
after I did this. Too fix it I had to cause Gnome to reinitailize by moving the
gnome hidden directories .gnome, .gnome2, .gnome2_private to .gnomeOLD,
.gnome2OLD and .gnome2_private to .gnome2privateOLD. I then logged out of gnome
and restarted gnome. This will cause gnome to rebuild those directories but the
problem with the screen size was fixed. You might try this to see if it resolves
your screen size problem. Best of luck.