fstab-sync wipes out /etc/fstab

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Oct 17 02:04:38 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-16 at 10:45 -0400, oleksandr korneta wrote:
> on 10/16/2005 10:27 AM Bill Perkins wrote:
>
> >>I agree here. And more than that, all stuff is kept being mounted into
> >>/media deirectory despite the fact that by the unix-way there is a /mnt
> >>directory intended for this. So if there is any config file which
> >>allowes me to fix that, please point me to it, i'm going to put the
> >>things in my way immediately
> >>

> > Would you believe /etc/fstab?
> >
> dear Bill, you are missing the point.
> Whenever I plug my flashdrive/externel_hdd/mp3_player into usb port the
> new mounting points created by fstab are
> /media/lexar, /media/kingston, /media/depends_on_flashdive_manufacturer
> /media/vfat, /media/linux, /media/depends_on_hdd_filesystem
> /media/iriver, /media/iaudio_g3, /media/again_by_playertype_and_vendor
>
> all this mounting points are naturally wiped out after the ums-device is
> unplugged. Thus, if you notice the common thing for all of them is
> /media directory the purpose of which (when there is /mnt) I'm not
> getting at all. I would be glad if someone could explain it to me. But
> the main point the whatever the reason is I dont need this directory on
> my system and want to teach fstab-sync to not use it either. Now how to
> do that?

The coherent thing here is that all devices that are _media_ are having
the mount points created in /media.  The mount points are dynamic and
are created/removed when the device is attached/removed.

The tool that does that is udev.  IIRC there is a file in /etc that
tells udev how to handle things but I do not remember the name of it.

This has been discussed a lot here and the archives should have lots of
pointers.