FC-3 install problem on AMD

Thomas W. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Tue Oct 18 14:19:59 UTC 2005

Fraser wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>         My name is "Fraser". I am currently using
>FC-3 as my only OS (as i found "windows" a technically
>poor OS). I have a very talented friend (a mechanical
>engineer) who wants to enter into the world of
>computer through his business (he is working very hard
>to launch a magazine on engineering profession). He is
>an intellectual person so he i decided to "gift" him
>with FC-3 CD set when he bought "AMD-sempron".
>
>BUT i tried every way and was not able to install FC-3
>on "AMD-sempron" ( i installed FC-3 on my system using
>same CDs, i have Celeron-600 on SiS-630). I was
>disappointed and so was he. For 7 days continuously i
>keep on teching him the differences between FC-3,
>FreeBSD, UNIX, Mac OS X and windows and also about how
>windows makes a person "intellectually handicapped by
>eroding his common-sense of softwares" and also about
>the social effects of softwares. He was very
>interested in using GIMP toolkit for his magazine
>because of high-quality of GNU softwares. BUT now i am
>helpless as i have only FC-3 and nothing else, anyway
>he is using windows now but everyday when he wakes up
>he picks up FC-3 CDs and "FC-3 bible" that i gifted
>himand he feels sad for some time.I feel very unhappy
>at this. I am providing here full hardware
>specification:
>
>############ HARDWARE-SPECIFICATION ################
>
>PROCESSOR:          AMD-sempron - 2500+
>
>MOTHERBOARD:        K8M800-M2 (of ECS-Elitegroup)
>
>HARD-DISK:          HITACHI 82.3 GB 7200 RPM
>
>################################################
>
>PROBLEM: He wants to use GNU/Linux for his
>"AMD-sempron" procesor.
>
>i get the following error when i try to install FC-3
>on his AMD-sempron ---
>
>everything goes fine (like using personal,
>workstation, custom install and using disk-druid,
>setting time etc.) untill it starts installing
>packages. At 1st CD or at 2nd CD it gives the
>following error while installing the packages--
>
>#################### ERROR ########################
>
>There was an error installing xyz.(xyz can be
>perl-package, open-office package or any other with
>proper version number). This can indicate
>media-failure, lack-of-disk-space, and/or hardware
>problems. This is a fatal-error and your install will
>be aborted. Please verify your media and install
>again.
>
>press OK button to reboot the system.
>
>#####################################################
>
>PROBLEM EXPLAINED:
>
>I tried to install FC-3 severla times at different
>intervals of time but got the same error.I knew that
>FC-3 can not be installed on AMD-athlon-64 but didn't
>it know it will not be installed even on AMD-sempron
>which is a 32-bit OS. If FC-3 can not be installed on
>this system may you tell me which GNU/Linux should i
>use?
>
>--- will Red Hat Enterprise Linux-4 will work? How can
>
>    i get the CDs?
> [...]
Hi

I am running FC3 on a computer w/amd 1.2 gig AMD Athlon and an ASUS
A7N8X-X mobo. I think  these components would work out better than the
Semperon and ECS mobo.  In fact,  I have seen lots of  ECS mobos fail
after a short life.

I have  FC3 on another  computer running a 1.7 gig AMD Duron on a n ASUS
A7N8X-X mobo, and it does not run near as well.

I had trouble installing FC3 the first time I tried, and discovered that
my CD player was not up to par. I went out and bought a brand new CD
player, and was then able  to install w/out any problem.