DVD doesn't mount, but writing works fine.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Oct 18 15:46:19 UTC 2005

Kim Lux wrote:
> I am able to read the CDROM drive about 25% of the time.   Very
> frustrating.  There have been CDROM access issues in Fedora since FC2.
> It is about time this got fixed.
>
> I tried adding "hdc=ide-scsi" to the kernel boot line in grub.conf.
> That makes the device /dev/scd0 rather that /media/cdrecorder.  I now
> can't access a CDROM without trying 8 times.
>

> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 19:26 -0600, Kim Lux wrote:
>
>>I think the problem is that the previous disk hasn't unmounted
>>correctly.
>>
>>If I do a "unmount" via a right click on the desktop icon, I get a busy
>>error.  I get the same doing it from the command line.  However, I can
>>get it to unmount without errors by doing a "umount -l /dev/hdc".  I am
>>wondering if the problem isn't that there is multiple references to the
>>drive, ie /media/cdrecorder and /dev/hdc.

I have a question?

Is this a clean install or an upgrade?  I ask this as I have three FC4
machines, all with DVD players/recorders in them.  I do not have any
issues (other than DMA on a laptop) in mounting, or unmounting.

With all the changes in between RH to FC4, I would not be surprised
about some strange config file someplace affecting the mounting.

You stated that there are issues with unmounting.  I question what and
how the drive is being mounted without a CD/DVD in it.

Now in FC4, I find that putting a blank DVD in actually mounts the
DVD.  Burning it in K3B using the test flag causes the DVD to eject
and be remounted with the volume name.

Check lsof and lsdev to see if there is anything that is coming up.

I wonder if you DVD is being listed as two devices instead of just
one.  Just a guess.

--
Robin Laing