panic after rsync

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Tue Oct 18 18:49:10 UTC 2005

dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:

> Mike,
>
>>From the old drive root (/) to the new drive root mounted at
> /media/usbdisk, my rsync command line was:
>
>    # rsync -avxvtzHP ./ /media/usbdisk
>
> The "z" parameter is supposed to confine source files to the current
> filesystem and ignore any that are mounted. These would include /proc,
> /sys, and so on.
>
> Strictly speaking, /dev isn't a mounted filesystem but I suppose it's
> possible that some of its entries might not be precisely the same on a LVM
> disk as a plain partitions disk. Is there a preferred way to regenerate
> the /dev directory from scratch using MAKEDEV when booted to the Rescue
> CD?

/dev is not like /proc. /dev has real data and a real structure.

Just to humor me, why don't you try this:

Boot the box off the rescue cd. Your current system image will be
mounted as /mnt/sysimage

make a new mountpoint, say /mnt/new and mount your new filesystem
structure under it.

cd to /mnt/sysimage

use this command to copy the old structure to the new structure

tar cf - . | ( cd /mnt/new ; tar xvf - )

then, you can chroot to /mnt/new and reinstall grub or whatever your
bootloader is, make changes to /etc/fstab, or whatever needs to be done.

This is how I've moved systems from one disk to the other. Of course, I
haven't been using LVM. You might need to boot off the CD again once you
swap the new disk into the system to fix LVM issues.

Somehow I just don't think rsync is up to the task.

-Mike