use only one core of dual core system

Bill Rees breeze at smsonline.com
Tue Oct 18 20:26:42 UTC 2005

    I'm trying to isolate a driver problem that appears to be smp
related so I would like to take the system with the smp kernel and boot
it so that only one cpu is used.  Ideally, I'll be able to tell if
running off of two cores is causing problems with the usb driver.
So the only thing I've found that I can pass to the kernel during boot
is maxprocs which doesn't seem to actually deal with the number of cpus
but rather the number of processes.

    Is there any boot variable that will prevent the second cpu from
coming up?

bill