installing ant, no alternatives

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Tue Oct 18 21:06:22 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 18.10.2005 schrieb Michael Hennebry um 19:41:
>
> > > Where does JPackage.org packages break things? As far as I see you
> >
> > My apologies if English is not your native language.
> > In English, something can be broken
> > even if it has not been split into pieces.
> > What matters is that it has gone from
> > a working state to a nonworking state.
> > In this case, the java command used to run java byte code.
> > Since my struggle with jpackage, it just prints an error message.
>
> "it"? I am willing to help if you are specific about what happens (exact
> commands run and error messages).
>
> > > didn't install Sun's j2re from the skeleton src.rpm. Please do that. If
> > > you don't install an alternate to the libgcj with its placeholder you
> > > can complain as much as you want but won't come further.
> > > Please follow the howto
> > >
> > > http://fedoranews.org/mediawiki/index.php/JPackage_Java_for_FC4
> > >
> > > and switch to the freshly installed j2re using the alternatives command
> > > / mechanism. If you installed ant cleanly from JPackage.org repository
> > > you should have no problem then to use it.
> >
> > Apparently, despite the lack of error messages,
> > I didn't get a clean install.
>
> So what happened when you did what?

Apparently things aren't quite as bad as I thought.
The java and javac placeholders end with execs to GNU commands.
I just got depressed before I got to the output from GNU.
That said, things still aren't working.

nfs/work/s61> ant
libgcj-java-placeholder.sh

This script is a placeholder for the /usr/bin/java
master link required by jpackage.org conventions.  libgcj's
rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools are now slave symlinks to these
masters, and are managed by the alternatives(8) system.

This change was necessary because the rmiregistry, rmic and jar tools
installed by previous versions of libgcj conflicted with symlinks
installed by jpackage.org JVM packages.
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org.apache.tools.ant.launch.Launcher
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.FirstThread.run() (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_ThreadRun(java.lang.Thread) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at _Jv_RunMain(java.lang.Class, byte const, int, byte const, boolean) (/usr/lib/libgcj.so.5.0.0)
   at __gcj_personality_v0 (/disk2/people/hennebry/work/simulator.10072004.61/ant.home=/usr/share/ant)
   at __libc_start_main (/lib/tls/libc-2.3.3.so)
   at _Jv_RegisterClasses (/disk2/people/hennebry/work/simulator.10072004.61/ant.home=/usr/share/ant)

> > How sure are you that the FC4 instructions will work FC3?
>
> The JPackage.org skeleton is not Fedora release specific. Though you may
> not follow the howto like a slave.
>
> > What does sudo yum localinstall *.rpm  do?
> > The man page on yum doesn't mention localinstall.
>
> "yum localinstall" installs the RPMs given with that command and will
> auto-resolve dependencies and fetch additional needed RPMs if they are
> provided by the configured repositories.
>
> > Before trying again, should I uninstall ant stuff?
>
> How did you install it? If you installed ant using yum with JPackage.org
> configured, then I see no need to uninstall ant.

Part of the problem is that I don't remember for sure.
The GNU java stuff was installed with FC3.
I installed ant from jpackage with yum.
I thought that I'd installed ant-contrib,
but I don't see it in installed.

My recollection is that I edited /etc/yum.repos.d
after ant and before something else.

> > Should I remove additions I made to /etc/yum.repos.d ?
>
> That is kind of a question where I can hardly say yes or no. Feel free
> to post your yum repo setup.

[root at hobbes yum.repos.d]# for f in  *.repo ; do echo ; echo $f; cat $f; done

fedora-devel.repo
[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-rawhide
enabled=0

fedora.repo
[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

fedora-updates.repo
[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc$releasever
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

fedora-updates-testing.repo
[updates-testing]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Test Updates
#baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/testing/$releasever/$basearch/
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-testing-fc$releasever
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1

jpackage-free.repo
[jpackage16-fc3-free]
name=JPackage 1.6 for Fedora Core 3
baseurl=http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.6/fedora-3/free/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

jpackage-gen-free.repo
[jpackage16-fc3-gen-free]
name=JPackage 1.6 for Fedora Core 3
baseurl=http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/jpackage/1.6/generic/free
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

livena-stable.repo
[livna-stable]
name=Livna Stable
baseurl=http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.stable/
enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
[root at hobbes yum.repos.d]#

--
Mike   hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES.  *I* ONLY TURN UP ONCE."  --  Death