Bug report requests for Fedora build of OpenOffice.org software

Bob Kline bkline_ng at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 23:25:36 UTC 2005

The other day while I was running oocalc in the FC4
distribution of the OpenOffice.org suite the program
crashed and a dialog message came up stating that "OOo
has crashed ..." and requesting that I send a bug
report with the displayed information.  Assuming that
the request was from the OpenOffice.org team, I filed
a bug report with them, taking the time to provide a
substantial amount of supporting information.  I
received back a terse request that I file bug reports
against the latest, not the production version of the
software I am running.  When I wrote back to point out
that I wasn't a beta tester, and that I had only filed
a bug report because they had asked me to, they
retorted that it wasn't their software that had
crashed, and made it very clear that they don't want
bug reports for derived versions of their software
which they didn't build themselves.  I wrote back and
apologized for having bothered them, thinking that the
dialog box requesting the bug report had been put up
by the OOo team, rather than the Fedora team, and I
promised that I would pass along to the Fedora team a
suggestion that your build should not be requesting
bug reports for builds of OOo created by the Fedora
team.  So that's what I'm doing.

Bob Kline

(Yes, I know it doesn't make any sense for developers
to turn down carefully prepared feedback on problems
in their software, no matter where it's built.  I'm
just passing on what I was told by the OOo team.
Sorry!)