can't set 60hz v refresh rate

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 02:36:52 UTC 2005

sean wrote:
> On fc4, updated, I have a dell flat screen with a intel i915g chips -
> using xoreg i820 - that I want to run at 1280x1024x60.
>
> Desktop-> Preferences -> Screen Resoltuion does not let me change the
> refresh rate. It stays at 75hz.
>
> I hand edited xorg.conf so that the monitor section has
>
> VertRefresh   60
>
> No luck.
>
> So I tried disabling the drivers DDC
>
> Option "DDC"  "no"
>
> But now it tries to run at 1600x1200 - out of range.
>
> BTW, the Mode line of the Display subsection of Screen had "1280x1024"
> and  "1024x780".
>
> Any suggestion appreciated.
>
> sean

Well, it turns out it can't be fixed. I've read the i810 man
pages more carefully:

The  driver  makes use of the video BIOS to program video
modes for the 830M and later.  This limits the video modes
that can be used to  those provided  by the video BIOS, and
to those that will fit into the amount of video memory that
the video BIOS is aware of.

so modelines or anytthing else won't work.

There does appear to be some code that will with the video
bios directly : 915 resolution @
http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

sean