IRQ-Problem with Adaptec

Markus Fritz fritz at justis.de
Wed Oct 19 10:09:07 UTC 2005

Hallo,

sorry for the delay but was on-the-road yesterday ...

A test with Knoppix 4 (kernel 2.6.12) is functional, so i assume it's
a kernel version problem.
As i don't know how to upgrade the isolinux kernel on the distro DVD,
i plugged in a ATA disk temporarily, installed FC4, updated kernel and
hooray - it worked.     :-)

Now i have to copy/move the installation to the real destination disks
and setup grub - no really simple installation but no problem.

Even with kernel-smp-2.6.13-1.1526_FC4 'dmesg' keeps showing some IRQ
problems, so you may have a look in lspci.out, proc-interrupts ...

    Oct 19 11:49:52 devil kernel: pcie_portdrv_probe->Dev[005d:10de] has
                                  invalid IRQ. Check vendor BIOS
    Oct 19 11:49:52 devil kernel: assign_interrupt_mode Found MSI
                                  capability
    Oct 19 11:49:52 devil kernel: PCI: MSI quirk detected. MSI disabled.

Gilboa Davara wrote:
> I'm using the Tyan K8WE board (which uses the same chipset as the K8SE)
> with an external PCI-X 29160 and it works just fine.
> However, with the older BIOS, using the default ISO kernel, FC3 (be that
> 32bit or 64bit) failed to detect and configure the Adaptec card.
>
> I'd try the following:
> A. Check Tyan's website for BIOS upgrade.
Bios was up-2-date (V1.0.3)

> B. Try booting with "noapic".
Already tried 'noacpi' and/or 'noapic', doesn't help.

> C. Try both the 32bit and the 64bit versions. I found that the 64bit
> worked much better.
Both tried, doesn't help.

> D. Post your "/proc/interrupts" and "lspci -vv" here.

-> attachments

Output from kernel 2.6.13, with kernel 2.6.11 the aic79xx and eth
interrupts don't show.

> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 18:37 +0200, Markus Fritz wrote:
>>
>>I have tried to install  FC4 on a Tyan Thunder K8SE with onboard
>>Adaptec 7902 (Tyan TARO) and Adaptec 29320 but cannot access any disks.
>>There are no other cards in the system, Video is onboard ATI Rage XL.
>>
>>I have tried 'noacpi', doesn't help.
>>'noprobe' with manually loading drivers.
>>
>>I have also tried Knoppix 2.6 and FC3, but same Problem.
>>FC3 core dumps when i tried to load the aic79xx driver, the aic7xxx
>>driver loads fine but no disks showing.
>>
>>Win2003 has been tested and is running fine, refering to out vendor ..
>>
>>Has anybody success in running this motherboard and one of these
>>SCSII-Controllers ?
>>
>>'dmesg' shows some problems in IRQ-config, that i suspect is the
>>problem. Since the system has no floppy it is hard to provide a full
>>dmesg -- but i will try ...

Thanks,

      Markus

--
Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Markus Fritz
Just Innovative Software GmbH * Robert-Bosch-Str. 32 * 74081 Heilbronn