bouncing mail in evolution

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Oct 19 11:56:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 07:35:20PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:45, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > Is it possible to bounce mail in evolution?
> > How about thunderbird? Is mail bouncing possible there.
>
> The MUA is the wrong place to bounce email.  Email should be bounced at
> the MTA level which means on the server it is being received on.
> What is the problem you are trying to solve?  Are you trying to
> eliminate spam?  If so there are several methods of implementing
> spamassassin which do an excellent job of sorting out spam from your
> regular email.  I have been using a filter in evolution for a few years
> now which calls spamassassin and moves spam to a specified folder.
> Newer versions of evolution includes integration with spamassassin so
> you can send items to junk.  It takes about 100 or so junk messages
> before the baysian filtering of spamassassin kicks in.  There are other
> spam filters out there as well but I have not used those.
>
> If you have control of the MTA you should consider implementing
> greylisting.  This uses a lot less resources than spamassassin.  But to
> use greylisting you must have control of the MTA.
>
> Also, in general it a bad idea to bounce email in most cases.  Spam in
> general has bogus from addresses so bouncing messages back to those poor
> users does no one any good, they did not send the spam.  Legit errors on
> the MTA will bounce messages and those are OK.  But users bouncing
> messages is normally a bad thing.  If you don't want the message just
> trash it.

 As someone else suggested you misunderstand what I mean by bounce.
 Bounce is the process of transferring mail to another recipient just
 as it was received by me. The problem I want to solve that forward
 does not do for me is to transfer the mail and all attachments to
 someone else. Maybe other e-mail clients act differently but when you
 forward a message with mutt and I believe also with evolution the
 attachments are not forwarded with the message. If someone knows how
 to do this without bouncing I would be glad to hear how to do it.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484