panic after rsync

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 21:55:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 09:23, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 19:53 -0500, dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
> > Strictly speaking, /dev isn't a mounted filesystem but I suppose it's
> > possible that some of its entries might not be precisely the same on a
> > LVM disk as a plain partitions disk. Is there a preferred way to
> > regenerate the /dev directory from scratch using MAKEDEV when booted
> > to the Rescue CD?
>
> I just copied one HDD to another today, using the cp command with
> appropriate parameters on most of the directories.

cp -a should be appropriate.  I usually use --one-file-system and
do it explicitly for each filesystem I want.  This probably doesn't
take the extended attributes for SELinux if you have that enabled.

>  If I recall what I
> did correctly, I didn't copy /dev/ I just made an empty /dev directory
> on the new drive, and let the system fill it on the next boot.
>
> I was of the understanding that, now, /dev/ is dynamically generated
> each boot.

'mount' says that /dev/pts and /dev/shm are mount points but it
doesn't mention /dev.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com