Query about fc4 servers support for apt-get

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 15:54:45 UTC 2005

theres fedora core 4 for x86_64 and it works rather well on various
servers and desktops i have running ;).

the problem there is though that apt cant handle the parallel
installation of 32 bit and 64 bit libs. this is required if you want
32 bit backwards compatibility e.g. to install 32 bit games like enemy
territory or doom3 as well as other binary stuff that isnt available
for 64 bit linux (yet). also apt is known to have various other
problems with handling rpms properly. that said... id recommend yum
and probably yumex (GUI) if you want to easily install software on a
64 bit fedora box with 64 bit fedora installed.
yumex is available from the fedora extras repository.

regards,
Rudolf Kastl