caught with Linux Virus ELF_ROOTKIT

M E Fieu sibu168 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 16:21:11 UTC 2005

Hi.. We found that our Linux server was down last night and before that our Linux Anti-Virus
server (TrendMicro SPLX ServerProtect for Linux) was sending us the Virus found notification as
followiing

Virus found!
Action: Clean failed, Quarantined.
  ELF_ROOTKIT.A found in file: ptrace
A virus infection was detected

It state quaratined but I don't know why the server still went down. After we up the server , we
delete the virus files and scan again.  It does detect anything.  Does anyone know about this
virus? and what possible damage will it cause? and how it came in ?