howto specify install arch in fc4 for yum?

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 20:14:59 UTC 2005

I'm running fc4 on an old winchip-c6 server. yum.conf has
exactarch = 1. This week it updated openssl.i686 over
openssl.i386 - a non-obvious problem that caused no end of
grief.

yum does install i586 kernels.

Now this could be a yum problem, but before whining to them
I checked rpm --showrc:

  rpm --showrc
ARCHITECTURE AND OS:
build arch            : i386
compatible build archs: athlon i686 i586 i486 i386 noarch fat
build os              : Linux
compatible build os's : linux
install arch          : athlon
install os            : Linux
compatible archs      : athlon i686 i586 i486 i386 noarch fat
compatible os's       : linux

Why the install routines set the install arch to athlon, is
beyond me. But how do I set it to i586 - which I assume will
  keep yum from installing i686 binaries.

sean