Sound works but login generates error on new FC4 box

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 20:31:20 UTC 2005

Hi folks.

I've just build a new FC4 system on a spare tower box I had and all
worked fine.  This system is replacing an old RH7.3 system running in a
rack chassis which has a different motherboard etc.

However, when I transferred the HDD to the rack chassis and powered up I
had 2 problems.  This problem is that although the soundcard is
configured and working fine - I ran system-config-soundcard and all
looked and sounded fine - I get an error message when I log into a KDE
session.  The Message is:

Window Title:  Informational - artsmessage

Window Content:

Sound server informational message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: default can't be opened for playback
(invalid argument)

The sound server will continue, using the null
output device.

I don't get any sound from X/KDE applications, but if I use 'play' it
works fine.

Anyone any ideas what these mean, and how I can sort it? The box is
FC4+yum update.

Cheers
Gary
--