spamassassin doesn't seem to be using bayes

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Oct 21 15:46:41 UTC 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 05:15:56PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 21.10.2005 schrieb D. D. Brierton um 17:02:
>
> > I'm using FC4 with spamassassin-3.0.4-1.fc4. fetchmail delivers mail to
> > a locally running postfix. spamd is running as a service, and spamc is
> > called by procmail on my mail. My setup is almost identical to that
> > desribed here:
> >
> > http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/UsedViaProcmail
> >
> > However, despite the fact that I have trained spamassassin on a vast
> > amount of both ham and spam using sa-learn, I suspect that Bayesian
> > testing is not being applied. I became suspicious that this might be the
> > case after receiving over a dozen almost identical messages and despite
> > training spamassassin on them they are still not being identified as
> > spam. So I started looking at the headers that spamassassin adds to each
> > message more closely. Here is the header it added to a recent message
> > from this list:

> > autolearn=failed version=3.0.4
>
> You are irritated by "autolearn=failed"? Autolearning is not the same as
> using the Bayesian features. Though the former requires the last to be
> active. And autolearning does not use each mail checked, it only applies
> to messages with more or less reliable spam / ham score values.
>
> > And here is an example of an incorrectly identified spam message:

> > RCVD_BY_IP autolearn=no version=3.0.4
>
> Did you set in local.cf something like following?
>
> use_bayes 1
> auto_learn 1
> bayes_learn_to_journal 1
> bayes_file_mode 0600
> bayes_path /var/spool/MIMEDefang/bayes
>
> > Best, Darren

The lines like the ones above appear in:
.spamassassin/user_prefs assuming these are personal user
settings.

In my instructions auto_learn appears as bayes_auto_learn. The
last three lines have default values so I would assume they are
not needed.

One more thing the option: bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam needs to be
considered since a spam score below this threshold is
not auto-learned to be spam. Its default in 12.0.

Similarly there is a:bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam. Default
is 0.1

"Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat."
		-- M. Devine and P. Larson, Computer Science 340
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484