Cannot install source - error error- and more errors

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sun Oct 23 08:28:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 04:11:39PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 04:03:17PM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 06:34:06PM +0000, rwhart at mchsi.com wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >   I need to compile the module for my nVidia dualhead.  I have tried to rpm -ivh
> > > kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm repeatedly.  It reports no errors.
> > >
> > >   However, then I do rpm -qa | grep kernel*  and the source is not listed.  Also
> > > there is no kernels subdirectory in /usr/src
> > >
> > >   I have performed a rpm --rebuildb. Any other ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bob
> > Well the thing to doe is to put the src.rpm in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
          --> this should really be: /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS
> > and hen you do: rpm -ivh  kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm
> > I would expect you would get a spec file in: /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> > Then you would run: rpmbuild  --rebuild on the spec file.
> This is an error. I am sorry. You would actually want to run
> something like:
> rpmbuild -bb on spec file. Ther are other options then -bb. Look at
> man rpmbuild to decide which you want.
> The command below should be ok.
> >
> > Or if you want to remove the middleman you could do a:
> > rpmbuild --rebuild kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.src.rpm
> > --
I should really say what you are aiming for is producing a:
kernel-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.rpm which will ends up in a directory like:
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386. Then you can install this rpm to install the
kernel.

Again I don't know this new information is really necessary but I
woke up at 3am and saw I had screwed up once again so I jumped up to
make this correction. Hopefully you got the general idea from my

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484