init 3 (from init 5) just hangs?

Kam Leo kam.leo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 05:04:24 UTC 2005

On 10/24/05, Dan Hensley <dan at dshensley.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 22:26 -0500, Eric Waguespack wrote:
> > this is interesting, I removed the "vga=791" from my grub.conf, and it
> > no longer hangs when I go to init 3...
>
> I have the same problem, but I don't have a vga-791. Hitting <CR> does
> not bring up the prompt as it used to. I'm sure I just have to switch
> displays or something, but I couldn't remember the way to do that.
>
> Dan
>

> > On 10/24/05, Eric Waguespack <ewaguespack at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > well that's not the case here... no key or key combination, (including
> > > enter / control alt f[1-8]) have any effect.

What version of xorg-x11 do you have installed? I have a similar problem
after I upgraded the xorg-x11 packages to the 6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2 release.
Both GDM and KDM would crash upon entering runlevel 5. SSH worked but none
of the consoles. I had to downgrade all the packages to 6.8.2-37.FC4.45 to
get X running again.