bash trick - prefixing a command?

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Tue Oct 25 18:22:40 UTC 2005

Rodolfo Alcazar wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 13:00 -0400, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> I want to do some shell trickery so that when a user enters a command like:
>>
>> ls -l
>>
>> the command is forwarded to another program as an argument. That is,
>> what actually gets executed is:
>>
>> myprog "ls -l"
>

> [rodolfoap] /home/rodolfoap/test > function ls() { /bin/ls|grep -v two; }

Thanks, that is a neat trick that I wasn't aware of, but "ls -l" was
just an example of one possible input. I want to forward every command
to my own program, not just "ls" commands.

An alias feature with wildcards or regular expressions (on the _left_
side of the alias definition) would do it, but bash doesn't have that
particular feature.

- Mike