question re list

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Oct 26 11:31:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 11:33:39PM -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> On 25/10/05, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:36 -0600, kwhiskers wrote:
> > > I was wondering about the noauto option. I read the documentation, but
> > > got the impression this refers to automounting at boot. My situation
> > > is that this device will never be connected at boot, but only
> > > connected after the system has already booted up and disconnected well
> > > before the system ever shuts down. I will try.
> >
> > Since your message doesn't say anything about how you're using noauto, I
> > can only give a general reply:
> >
> > In the /etc/fstab file using a "noauto" option means that it won't be
> > automatically mounted as the computer boots up.
> >
> > Without trying out other options, too, you'd need to be root to manually
> > mount such an entry. Throwing in "user" will allow a user to mount
> > something as their own. Using "users", instead, will allow anybody to
> > mount and dismount it. See the mount and fstab man pages.
> >
> > --
> >

> I have noauto in this context: pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed
>
> I simply copied it from the cdrecorder, cdrom and floppy lines, as they have
> the same and also all appear under /media. Not very intelligent, but I
> wasn't sure what else to put there, since the 'managed' threw me and I was
> stumped when lines kept disappearing and then reappearing from fstab. I do
> get that now, but the ones that reappear aren't the ones that disappeared, I
> have noticed, so the system must have some overrides stored somewhere that
> are not the same as the ones I had chosen.
>
> In any case, I did try auto, but with the other options, as above, but when
> I plugged the camera in, what I had put into fstab simply disappeared and
> the old line with noauto reappeared.
>
> This is not a huge problem, as I said, now that I have spent so much time on
> it, and have seen that firstly, nobody has any answers, and secondly, all
> the work I have done and suggestions, both here and on other websites, have
> had me just going in circles and getting nowhere.
>
> I can mount manually, which is fine, I guess. I just thought that cds mount
> themselves when inserted, so why not a camera. I am using the same fstab
> option that cds have, and they work there.
With my camera which uses a usb connection it is automatically mounted
. Do not usb devices automount on your machine? auto-mounting that is
done to a CD is not the same as auto in your fstab but is handled by
the automounter. Look at man automount

sushi, n.:
	When that-which-may-still-be-alive is put on top of rice and
	strapped on with electrical tape.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University