problems with new kernels from yum

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Oct 26 12:21:17 UTC 2005

I'm running FC4 on an HP Compaq nx9110. I have three different kernels
installed. 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp has always run fine and is what I'm
running now.

Using yum update on occasion has installed two other kernels:
2.6.13-1.1526_FC4smp
2.6.13-1.1532_FC4smp

Problem is I can't run ether of these. They won't even boot, or they are
going so slowly you think it's not doing anything. They both get stuck
at the Starting udev.... prompt.

The original kernel whips by that point in no time. I had the problem
with 1526 for a while and figured I'd wait til the next kernel came out.
This morning 1532 got installed and it has the same problem.

I know I haven't really given much information about this but wondering
if anyone else has seen this before. Sorry if it's been discussed a
hundred times already. Did not find much googling.

Thanks,
James